Thursday, March 17, 2011


Unearthing Hidden Literacy: Seven Lessons I Learned in a Cotton Field by Lillie Gayle Smith




In “Unearthing Hidden Literacy: Seven Lessons I Learned in a Cotton Field” by Lillie Gayle Smith, Smith recalled that “it took over 40 years before [she] discovered and began to value the lessons [she] learned from the inglorious job of picking cotton during the summers of [her] childhood”. Smith was one of the many people who cringed at the thought of such memories of the past. At an earlier point in Smith’s life, the constant reminder of the time she’d spent picking cotton in the field, reminded her of her family’s ancient history. Knowing that her family members who came before her were slaves, did not sit well with Smith. It wasn’t until the fall of 2003 when Smith took a graduate class called “Black Women’s Literacy”, that she came to accept and even appreciate the time she’d spent in the cotton field. The class introduced Smith to different definitions, theories and constructs of literacy. This in turn led to Smith’s realization that the cotton field in Alabama’s Black Belt was responsible for “how [she] had come to know and apply certain truths about life”. In example, Smith was able to understand and even compare the act of resistance by her female classmates, after feelings of discrimination. At first, Smith believed the women were giving up on the male professor, but she quickly came to realize that the act of no longer participating in the class, was the women’s’ way of resisting.
This particular story reminded me of my childhood memories. I can still remember getting in trouble for doing something I thought was perfectly fine, but in my parents’ eyes, was completely unacceptable.  Each and every time I would get in trouble I would be in the worst mood and think of how unfair and mean my parents were. At the time, I was completely unaware of my actions. I never understood why my parents chastised me, until now. Since I am older and more mature, I understand that my parents were only trying to raise a wonderful young lady. Now, I am grateful for the disciplinary action that my parents took. As a result, I am more aware and knowledgeable of my actions as well as others. 


No comments:

Post a Comment